Tax Day is slowly approaching and if you need a little extra help there will be volunteers will be at the La Vergne Library to help you. It’s free and all thanks to the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program through United Way of Rutherford County.
The program is mostly for qualifying individuals who made less than $66,000 last year. Volunteers will be providing basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing.
BE SURE TO BRING
- Photo ID for both spouses, if filing jointly
- Original copies of Social Security Cards or ITINs (for everyone on the return)
- Proof of Income (a W2 for each employer during the tax year, 1099s, Social Security Income, Unemployment, Interest, etc.)
- Proof of Expenses, if Claiming Any (Childcare, education, medical, property tax, itemized deductions, etc.)
- Proof of Mileage, if claiming any (must be a written record. Please total any business expenses before arriving)
- Both spouses must be present if filing a joint return
- Last year’s tax return
- Direct deposit information
VOLUNTEERS CANNOT PREPARE
- Schedule C with Losses (can only file one Schedule C per return). Must have expenses less than $10,000. No businesses with depreciation or inventory or claiming home office deduction.
- Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Rental or Farm Income
- Certain travel and auto deductions
During tax season last year, more than 40 volunteers completed 1,105 tax returns, resulting in more than $2M worth of savings.
VITA will be held at the La Vergne Library, 5063 Murfreesboro Road, every Friday and Saturday through April 14th from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Appointments are first come, first served.
February 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24
March 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30, 31
April 6, 7, 13, 14
Tax Returns are due to the IRS by April 17th.
Please note inclement weather may affect VITA site hours of operation.